Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Starting the school year right

Greetings to you all from the program administrator for Youth Arts here at Z Space.  Specifically what we do are workshops and residencies with students from grade 3 through high school using Word for Word techniques to activate literature and bring stories to life.   Since school has just started, we don’t currently have any workshops running (although that will change in the next few weeks, so check back!), so I thought I’d let some of the classroom teachers we worked with last year have their say, and show you some photos from past workshops. - Valerie Weak, Youth Arts Program Administrator

 

“Students are engaged deeply by Word for Word approaches; several students who say they “hate” reading (because it is difficult) were completely engaged in this process”

-Bayside Elementary School

 



“I got to see shy students shining. I saw english language learners speaking loudly and proudly. I saw the students work together, speak positively about each other, and encourage each other.”

-San Pedro Elementary School

 







“I saw my students up on their feet interacting joyfully with one another while interpreting literature.  What’s not to love?”

-Ida B Wells Continuation High School

No comments:

Post a Comment